©Kerrie O'Hearn Marquart

This blog and contents including photos, graphics and writings cannot be copied or used in any other way without my permission and is copyrighted under my name. Thank you.♥
©Kerrie O'Hearn Marquart

Friday, November 12, 2010

I MISS WORKING....

TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO, I STOPPED WORKING PART TIME to be home with my hubby.  We have always had a special great love between us and when he became ill with Multiple Myeloma, he had terrible separation anxiety.  I was only working 3 mornings a week but when he began to call just to hear my voice when he was feeling down, I knew I just had to be home and there for him.  So why would I ever miss work?
All of us need to be productive in our lives but not for that reason either.  It is because the ride to work was always my special time with God.  The first turn of my key in the ignition ignited the spark of praying in me as I shared my worries, my joys, my pleas with Jesus and his Father.  I always started out with the Our Father prayer and then went on to pray for all those in need including my hubby.  At times I could feel Jesus beside me in the car, right there listening.  Sometimes I would sing my favorite hymns loud and strong because no one could hear me, just the Lord-Ha!  So now I need to find a special place or time when I can pray and talk to God again as the peace and strength of that faith got me through a lot of days!  I pray a lot and study the bible but there was something special about that "ride with God" in the mornings that is close to my heart.
Do you have a special place that you like to pray??  I would love to hear.

   2 Thessalonians 3:6-13  "In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us.  For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example.  We were not idle whenn we were with you, nor did we eat anyone's food without paying for it.  On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you.  We did this not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to make ourselves a model for you to follow.  For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "if a man will not work, he shall not eat."
  We hear that some among you are idle.  They are not busy; they are busybodies.  Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat.  And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right."

   Paul's letter to Thessalonians had affirmed that Jesus could return at any time. This prompted some to quit their jobs and do nothing but wait for the second coming.  Paul then strongly warns against idleness.

   My hubby loved to work also and still would be working at 71 if only he could!  He retired twice.  After the first time, he was called back to oversee a special project and it was when he fell from scaffolding that X-rays showed the Multiple Myeloma in his spine.  So he was forced to retire again. But that does not mean he is idle.  He may not have endurance for the physical labor he was once able to do and sometimes just a walk to the mailbox causes fatigue and pain.  But when he can, he works with wood in our little shed and creates the most beautiful things......

  And God has blessed me with crafty hands that crochet, knit, sew.  I also do a few alterations for neighbors in our community.  So we each work in our own way in which we are able.  I have met so many wonderful BUSY Christians from blogging.  God is so good...

2 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Funny, because I have been thinking about that bible passage on working! But I think it's not true for the ones who can't and many seniors. I wonder if it also refers to a lazy attitude, of just wanting to sit around and not accomplish anything. There were people in that chirch who just sat around, and others had to work their fingers to the bone to take care of them, when they could do it themselves and were able. They were freeloaders. you do need to find your own apecial time! Does your husband nap like mine does? Maybe then would be good...

Lynn said...

Love reading your blog Kerrie! I quit working back in 2006. Sometimes nowadays I have those days that I wish I was working, and then other times I'm glad that I'm not.. I've thought about doing volunteer work at nursing homes or at the children's home.. but, I haven't checked into doing either of those yet..
I love the crafts you shared that your Husband made! They are absolutely darling! Your husband does beautiful work!

Have a great weekend!

Blessings,
~Lynn