©Kerrie O'Hearn Marquart

This blog and contents including photos, graphics and writings cannot be copied or used in any other way without my permission and is copyrighted under my name. Thank you.♥
©Kerrie O'Hearn Marquart

Friday, October 19, 2012

Church Steeple Auburn, NY by Dan Marquart
Day is done,Gone the sun,
From the Lakes,From the hills,
From the sky,
All is well.  Safely rest.
God is nigh. 


When I was a little girl, I sang Taps on the stage of Seward Grade School in Auburn NY.  I echoed the trumpet player who was in the balcony of the auditorium and he would play a line, then I would sing it.  I learned the words like this:
Day is done, gone the sun, from the earth, from the sea, from the sky.  All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.

So I do not know what is correct.  But I love it and it touches my heart whenever I hear it.  I think my son's photo of the sunset with silhouetted church steeple is so appropriate.  I love sunsets and feel always that they are God saying "Good Night" to we mortals...

Information on line:

"If anyone can be said to have composed 'Taps,' it was Brig. Gen. Daniel Butterfield, Commander of the 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, V Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, during the American Civil War. Dissatisfied with the customary firing of three rifle volleys at the conclusion of burials during battle and also needing a method of ceremonially imparting meaning to the end of a soldier's day, he likely altered an older piece known as "Tattoo," a French bugle call used to signal "lights out," into the call we now know as 'Taps.' (Alternatively, he wrote the whole thing from scratch, a possibility not at all supported by his lack of musical background and ability.)

Whether he wrote it straight from the cuff or improvised something new by rearranging an older work, Butterfield brought 'Taps' into being. With the help of his bugler, Oliver W. Norton of Chicago, the concept was transformed into its present form. "Taps" was quickly taken up by both sides of the conflict, and within months was being sounded by buglers in both Union and Confederate forces.
Then as now, 'Taps' serves as a vital component in ceremonies honoring military dead. It is also understood by American servicemen as an end-of-day 'lights out' signal."

I am taking a Bible Study of 7 wks. duration on the life of David.  Most interesting.  I have been to 3 sessions already.  Have you been studying any particular person in the Bible?  It is like finding your roots.  How we got to here from there.  Remember that the Great Commission is to spread the work of God to all the earth.  It can be done.
This is one of my son's paintings.
To me it speaks:  The hands of God holding the Light of the world.  I do not know what Dan meant it to be as he did not name it but I so loved it that I wanted to share with you.


No comments: